Basketball Date: 10/17/2019 as reported by Sam Shin
Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, the TDC’s Morning Announcements gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
Aced the Evening
- The Greek Freak – Only a “freak” would drop 26 PTS, 14 REBS, 3 BLKS, & 2 STLS in 27 MINS of a preseason game…and against the not-so-playoff-contending Timberwolves
- WHITE-OUT! Coby White had 29 points (10/14 FG, 6/8 3PT) and was a team-high +33 on the court, putting on display a wide variety of skills
- The Washington Wizards may have snagged the biggest prize of the night by signing Bradley Beal to a 2-year, $72 million extension #BealDeal
- “Jimmy G. Buckets, the G stands for ‘Gets!’” Butler (MIA) had 23 PTS, 6 REBS, 6 ASTS in 28 minutes of action, leading the Heat to an undefeated preseason
Quirks of the Night
- NBA Fight Night? Luka Doncic (DAL) and Terance Mann (LAC) get tangled up, while Tyler Herro (MIA) and Michael Carter-Williams (ORL) exchange some (spicy) trash talk. All 4 players received technical fouls, but at least none of them hit the other player in the head with a basketball…
- Board [Men] Get Paid: The Dallas Mavericks had twice as many turnovers as the Los Angeles Clippers (30 to 15) and suffered a beatdown in the steals column (1 to 15), but beat the Clippers by 15. The reason? Dallas was +19 in the rebounding department (58 to 39)
- Kawhi Lenard – the “O” was certainly missing, as he shot 5-19 from the floor (13 PTS) in his return to Canada
- “There’s not 100 players better than me, so it doesn’t matter what people think” – Andrew Wiggins. He then went on to shoot 4-18 for a total of 10 PTS.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- ALL HAIL THE PORZINGOD – Kristaps Porzingis had a defensive sequence where he blocked a shot, then challenged and altered another layup and dunk attempt. If anyone was doubting, he then made sure we knew he was back by getting a putback dunk with 3 Clipper players surrounding him under the basket.
- Nutmeg season! Tomas Satoransky’s assist to Zach LaVine for a dunk is threaded right between the legs of Charlie Brown Jr.