Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, the TDC’s Morning Announcements gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 10/24/2019 as reported by Sam Johnson, video by Jerin Varghese
Aced the Evening
- Trae Young had an exceptional season opener pouring in 38 pts, 7 rebs, 9 ast, and 6 3PTs while leading the team with a +17 as the Hawks cruise to victory over Detroit.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo had a triple double with 30 points in just 28 minutes (battled foul trouble eventually fouling out). He is just the second player to drop a 30 point triple double in 28 minutes or less in the past 20 seasons (LBJ 03/2019) http://bkref.com/tiny/LX5A7
- The LA Clippers staking their claim as California’s best team. It’s just two games, but they have looked very impressive handily knocking off the Lakers Tuesday and Warriors last night, 141-122, to kick off the season. All of this without Paul George
- Derrick Rose – Despite being on the second night of a back-to-back, Rose contributed a very efficient 27 points on 16 shots in just 25 minutes. He seems to be breathing down Reggie Jackson’s neck for primary PG minutes as Reggie has played just 35 minutes total in two games (also dealt with back soreness on Thursday)
Quirks of the Night
- Speaking of second string PGs, Eric Bledsoe (4-12FGs, -6 +/-) was usurped by George Hill as the latter played 30 minutes compared to just 16 for Bledsoe. Bucks fans may be longing for a do-over on the Bledsoe over Brogdon decision that the front office essentially made a year ago
- After being drubbed by 19 points at home and allowing 141 points, Warriors coach Steve Kerr said, “This is not a one off. This is reality. There are going to be nights like this, this year.” Not exactly inspirational words from their leader – perhaps he is just trying to lower expectations among fans and media
- James Harden had a lackluster performance in Houston’s loss to Milwaukee going just 2/13 with 7 turnovers, though he was a perfect 14/14 from the line and did dish out 14 assists
- Courtside fans in San Francisco – There was a stoppage in Golden State less than 15 seconds into the season opener for a courtside spilled beer that needed to be tended to – let’s #StayClassy fans
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- James Harden (double feature!) strolled in on the Red Carpet as he entered the Houston Rockets arena. Literally
- Last season’s #1 overall draft pick DeAndre Ayton was suspended for 25 games for violating the league’s anti-drug policy.