Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, the TDC’s Morning Announcements gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 10/27/2019 as reported by Sam Shin, video by Jerin Varghese
Aced the Evening
- They’re trying, Jennifer – CJ McCollum (35 PTS) and Damian Lillard (28 PTS) torched the Mavericks for a combined 63 points on 23/46 shooting, leading the Trail Blazers to a narrow 121-119 victory. Best backcourt in the league? Don’t bet against it
- On the flip side of that loss was Dallas’s own duo, powered by Kristaps Porzingis (32 PTS) and Luka Doncic (29 PTS). Unfortunately, it’s tough to win when your own team shoots 39%, but lets the opposing squad shoot 51%
- Kyriediculous!! Kyrie Irving dropped 37 PTS (albeit on 11/27 FG), continuing his hot streak to start off the season
- Ja or Nah? Memphis Grizzlies rookie Ja Morant was not afraid of the matchup, as he had a clutch layup and block to send the game into OT, which the Grizzlies ended up winning by a tiny margin of 134-133. The rookie phenom finished with 30 PTS (13/22 FG) and 9 ASTS; if you had Zion as your ROY prediction, now may be your chance to switch
Quirks of the Night
- Originally-hated-but-now-suddenly-beloved Lakers center Dwight Howard showed the Staples Center crowd exactly why he deserved a second chance, finishing a monster night off the bench with 16 PTS (on perfect 8/8 shooting!!) 10 REBS, and 4 BLKS. Want to hear something even more unexpected? On a night where AD had 29 PTS, 14 REBS, and 3 BLKS, the team’s leader in +/- belonged to none other than Dwight, who was +23. Currently looking for the “tHeY sHoUlD’vE sIgNeD jOaKiM nOaH” fans
- Speaking of +/-, here are your leading +/- players from each team that played on Sunday night: Ky Bowman, Terrance Ferguson, Taurean Prince, Grayson Allen, Chris Silva, ANDREW WIGGINS,CJ McCollum, Dorian Finney-Smith, Cody Zeller, Dwight Howard. Is this why people say +/- is insignificant? #BoxScoreWarrior
- The Warriors – We’re only 2 games in, but this team has looked like a shell of its old self in every aspect possible. In a game where they were blown out 120-92 by the Thunder, the Warriors shot 32% from the field, 15% from behind the arc (!!), while scoring only 37 points in the first half. #We(DoNot)Believe
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- Wait, do you hear that? The Wiggins believers are back – Andrew Wiggins was feelin’ himself late in the game against the Heat, hitting three straight 3-pointers to ice the game for the Timberwolves.