Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, the TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 11/5/2019 as reported by Sam Johnson, video by Jerin Varghese
- Gordon Hey-I’m-Back-Ward was a silly 17/20 from the field including a perfect 16/16 from two-point land in Boston’s victory over Cleveland. If you were thinking that the only other player in NBA history to be perfect on 2’s with that many buckets had to be Wilt Chamberlain, you would be right!
- Devonte Graham continued to impress with a 35-point barrage off the bench. He hit four crucial late free throws as Charlotte continues to successfully roll out their dual point guard lineup with Graham and Rozier playing 40+ minutes as they move to 4-3 on the year. Graham also chipped in 6 assists 4 boards and 3 steals and had the Hornets’ broadcast crew making up brand new catch phrases.
- LeBron James, in notching his third consecutive triple double, had a 30-11-10 +17 performance in leading the Lakers to their league leading sixth consecutive victory. The victory was the most improbable of the young season as the Lakers were down 18 in the late 3rd quarter before storming back into the game with a 16-0 run to start the fourth before eventually pulling away.
Quirks of the Night
- Cody Martin was a +27 in just 33 minutes in a game his team won by just two points, all while scoring zero points himself. Some points he was able to bank was with Hornets’ coach, James Borrego, who after the game said Martin is “a winner and put pressure on me to keep him in the lineup.” Brownie points with your coach or real points on the court – which would you prefer?
- We’ve seen plenty of guys lose a shoe before, but they are usually tossed aside or jammed back onto their feet ASAP. Danilo Galinari treated us with the atypical grab, hold, carry and attempt to rebound(?) platter with his sneaker in his hand. Predictably, he was unable to secure the board with a fist full of shoe.
- Dwayne Bacon must not have been on the menu tonight as he started and dropped the rare 0-0-0-0-0 traditional box score stats – more commonly known as the Full (Andre) Roberson.
- Passing savant Nikola Jokic would like to have this one back as he drifts over to the wing and underhands a soft pass directly out of bounds (I will give him credit for brilliantly U-Turning and shrugging it off afterwards).
- Was Rudy Gay watching Steph Curry highlights at half time? He needs some type of excuse to explain what he was thinking with a half court heave with 8 seconds left in the 3rd quarter.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- Trae Young is becoming a real staple when it comes to having Twitter abuzz. Last night, he was playground clownin’ Lamarcus Aldridge with a triple crossover one handed whirling dime to a cutter for the jam
- Derrick Jones Jr jumped very high and dunked a ball – please see for yourself