Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 11/18/2019 as reported by Sam Johnson, video by Jerin Varghese
- You might be sick of Luka Doncic appearing in this space, but I’m not sure what else to do. He put up another absurd line with 42 PTS, 11 REBS and 12 ASTS to become only the second 20-year-old to put up a 40-point triple double (LeBron) and he iced the game in the final minute with a deep stepback 3 pointer.
- OG Anunoby had a night to remember against the Hornets as he had a career best 24 PTS on just 13 FGA as he made 4 3PT’s and finished a +25 in Toronto’s romp over Charlotte.
- Short on wing bodies, the Timberwolves (two-way) callup Kelan Martin provided a late spark in their short-handed victory over the Jazz as he went 6-7 from the field to score 14 PTS, including a late three to mostly put the game away and was a +21 in 24 minutes of action. After starting the season slow (0/11 from 3PT) you might say he was “feelan” it in Utah.
Quirks of the Night
- For all of you backseat/home couch referee enthusiasts, James Harden was whistled for his 5th travel of the season! Amazingly, he only
was called forcommitted 6 all of last season.
- Wiley role player Wes Mathews was a +16 in 17 minutes without a single shot attempt. He also didn’t surpass 1 of any single positive box score statistic. Lots of screening and help defense #TeamPlayer
- Following a late third quarter jump ball, Aron Baynes literally lifted a laying down Grant Williams straight off of the floor just by pulling upwards on the basketball. I think he works out.
- With Damian Lillard going just 4/15 (also -19), the Blazers were on the wrong end of a blowout in Houston last night and have now dropped 7 of their last 9 games. The good news for them is an improvement may(?) be on the way, as Carmelo is expected to make his debut on Tuesday in New Orleans.
- Donovan Mitchell’s night will not be one going into his diary as he was 5/23 with as many assists (2) as turnovers (2) in Utah’s home loss. There is no truth to the rumor that he and Mike Conley (36% FG – career low) lobbied for arena officials to check that the hoop was regulation size after the game.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- The Memphis Grizzlies were showing off their slick new jerseys online yesterday that are an homage to the Vancouver Grizzlies of old that #NBATwitter seemed to be digging. I think most styles would look silky with a smooth 19-year-old phenom rockin it, but I think these did look quite fresh.
- It wasn’t all good on the jersey front however, these Pistons jerseys had people wondering if their uniforms weren’t steamrolled by a motor vehicle just before release.