Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 12/29/2019 as reported by Jerin Varghese
- Somebody please tell the Thunder they’re supposed to be rebuilding! While blogboy after blogboy devises a new Chris Paul trade every day, the Thunder continue to win and sit comfortably in the Western Conference playoff race. The Thunder squeaked out a 98-97 win on Sunday by 32 PTS and 7 REBS from Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and 25 PTS, 11 REBS, and 8 ASTS from CP3.
- Laker transplants, Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram, led the way for the Pelicans in a 127-112 rout over an undermanned Rockets team (no Westbrook, no Harden). Ball put up 27 PTS, 10 REBS, and 8 ASTS while Ingram matched the point total with 27 and added in 6 REBS and 4 ASTS.
- Sunday night was supposed to be a marquee matchup between two Western conference contenders: the Lakers and the Mavericks. Unfortunately, only the Lakers showed up. The game was not particularly close after the first quarter and the Lakers cruised to a 108-95 victory. The game was momentous, however, as Lebron James became the ninth player in NBA history to reach 9,000 assists.
Quirks of the Night
- Free KCP! The memes would have you believe that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is one of the worst players in the league. Surprise, Surprise: KCP is shooting a career high from three point land (43%) and delivered 19 points in the Lakers victory against the Mavs.
- Michael Porter Jr. made his first career start on Sunday. 26 minutes played and 19 points on 8/10 shooting from the field.
- SacTown Kings – Losers of 7 straight with another L coming against the Nuggets.
- Devonte’ Graham – 18 shots (5/18) to get 15 points.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- Even Kobe’s trash talk game is different:
- Nikola Jokic with the sauce:
- Chris Boucher says hello: