Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 1/11/2020 as reported by Jerin Varghese
- Adam Silver must be thankful for the NFL divisional playoffs dominating the airwaves, because there was a dearth of competitive NBA basketball on Saturday.The only ballgame that was in question in the 4th quarter was the matchup between the Cavaliers and Nuggets. The Nuggets looked rather sluggish for the first 3 quarters (down 14) before going on a run to retake the lead in the fourth. Bad team gets lead before good team comes back and bad team folds- that’s the story line, right? WRONG- Collin Sexton and Darius Garland refused to give the Denver crowd a happy ending as both sank clutch game buckets to give the Cavs the 111-103 win.
- If I’m a decent NBA offensive player, I’m going to be salivating when I see the Pelicans on the schedule. Jayson Tatum certainly will be after his career night Saturday- 16/22 for 41 PTS, 6 REBS, 3 ASTS, and 3 STLS.
LEBRON HAS NO HELP.THE LAKERS ARE A SUPERTEAM. That has to be the appropriate overreaction after the Lakers decimated the Thunder, 125-110, with both Lebron and Anthony Davis missing the game. The Lakers were led by Kyle Kuzma who went off for 36 PTS on 15/24 shooting. Someone’s trade value just went all the way up.
Quirks of the Night
- Lebron’s absence against the Thunder marked the 100th game he’s missed in his career. The Laker’s 15 point victory in which they never trailed marked the first time his team won in a wire to wire fashion without him.
- James Harden had the unconventional first half triple double: 22 PTS, 11 REBS, and 11 TO’s. His looseness with the ball didn’t affect the scoreline as the Rockets led by 16 at the half and eventually won 139-109.
- The Nuggets loss to the Cavaliers marked their sixth loss to a team with less than 15 wins on the season. Taking care of business against the worst of the NBA might be the difference between a top 2 and a top 4 playoff seed for the Nuggets.
- Let’s continue bashing the Nuggets. Their top 4 leaders in 3 point attempts and their respective 3 point percentages: Jamal Murray (32.5%), Will Barton (35.3%), Gary Harris (31.4%), Nikola Jokic (32.9%).
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- More Nuggets content for you (but this time positive!) courtesy of Gary Harris:
- Bobi and Tobi 4ever:
- Come on, Andre Drummond. If you’re going to beef with somebody, don’t be so soft about it.
- Dropping bodies and dropping dimes: