Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 1/21/2020 as reported by Sam Johnson, video by Jerin Varghese
- Luka Doncic just missed a triple double on his way to another eye-popping 36-10-9 evening in Dallas. He was the only Maverick to eclipse 13 points and the other starters combined to go 11/38 from the field, yet his brilliance kept them in the game until the final seconds.
- The reason Luka’s valiant effort fell short was due to Kawhi Leonard. A monster statline of 39 PTS, 6 REBS, 6 ASTS and 5 STLS was punctuated by a crucial three-pointer that mostly put the game away with about a minute to go. The Clippers have now won four straight games and move back into sole possession of the #2 seed in the West.
- Free Boban! Boban Marjanovic checked in after the gruesome Dwight Powell injury and quickly put his mark on the game with four quick points and a block but most importantly is always a major crowd pleaser. He finished with 12 PTS (5/6 FGS), 7 REBS, and 2 BLKS in just 15 minutes. #FreeBoban
Quirks of the Night
- Moe Harkless’s return to the court saw him just narrowly avoid being blanketed in the box score as he only managed one rebound as his only recorded stat of the night (other than his 4 personal fouls). He received an extreme version of the “Keith Bogans” (start the game and 3rd quarter, no other minutes beyond that) as he only played two shifts and a total of eight minutes for the game.
- One game? One game? It was a good one but one singular game can’t be the proper nightly mix on the NBA schedule for a random Tuesday night where I was looking for things to watch…
- Dipping into the NCAA realm, there were some tempers that definitely needed improvement. We had a very ugly scene at Bramlage Coliseum in the final seconds of the Kansas-Kansas State game as a melee broke out after a steal and breakaway layup attempt was blocked with the game well out of reach. DaJuan Gordon, The KSU player who stole the ball late, may have broken an unwritten rule by swooping in for the steal, but there were plenty of written rules broken in the scuffle that spilled beyond the baseline and into the crowd.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- Unfortunately, it looks like Dwight Powell played in his final game this season last night, as he appeared to suffer a serious Achilles injury on a drive attempt in the first quarter.
- Luka Doncic launched a floater three pointer as he skied a one-handed shot into the air upon unsuccessfully trying to draw a foul, but he still drained the three anyway.
- Kawhi Leonard showed he can still flash his two-way excellence in this sequence where he blocked a three-pointer on one end and immediately followed it with a and-one dunk.