Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 2/13/2020 as reported by Sam Johnson
- Jayson Tatum had an impressive evening in his final tune-up before his first All-Star game appearance. Tatum had 39 points (14/23 FG, 5/10 3PT) and 9 boards, including four points in the final minute of overtime featuring a beautiful go-ahead step-through finger-roll to take the lead. He would need to eventually play 48 minutes as the Celtics took home a thriller in double OT against LAC 141-133.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder defeated the New Orleans Zion’s and moved to an incredible 11 games above .500 as we head to the All-Star break. In a season where most thought the Thunder were taking a huge step back, they continue to get it done, as they moved into a tie for the 6-seed with Dallas after last night’s win. It was Danilo Gallinari’s turn to ball out, with 29 points in the five-point road victory.
- Lou Williams did his typical bombing away off the bench as he scored 35 points, although it did take him 33 shots to get there. He had 20 points in the fourth quarter and the OT’s alone.
- Zion Williamson had a career-high 32 points! I imagine that number will be topped a few times before season’s end, but I found it noteworthy nonetheless. He provides “wow” moments each and every night, one of which was a very well-executed volleyball spike.
Quirks of the Night
- There were not one, not two, but three carrying violations called in the Clippers-Celtics game. I wasn’t even sure this was still illegal.
- The Celtics and Clippers have now played three overtimes in their two matchups this year and a total of zero overtimes in their other 105 combined games.
- Paul George’s hamstring forced him to leave the game after just 14 minutes of action.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- We learned during the first quarter break in the Garden that Boston will be retiring Kevin Garnett’s #5 jersey after playing just six seasons with the Celtics. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
- Steven Adams canned an amazing 56-footer at the buzzer before halftime:
- Landry Shamet delayed the All-Star break by another 5 minutes with this tough pull-up:
- Kemba Walker – Breaker of Ankles: