Miss your NBA fix last night? In three minutes or less, TDC’s The Tip Off gives you the brief rundown of the standout stat lines, exciting finishes and some rarities that went down on the hardwood last night. On a busy evening where you miss the live action and/or the scintillating thrill of NBA Twitter scrolling, we have done the work for you and compiled notable lines and events.
Spend three minutes reading this every day to keep up with the Association and have enough knowledge and nuggets to be in the loop with casual fans as well as the ability to toss out a few specific stats and oddities an avid fan may have missed.
B-ball Date: 2/20/2020 as reported by Sam Johnson
- Trae Young went nuclear against the Heat last night dropping a 50 spot in Atlanta’s surprise victory. Trae helped the Hawks topple the Heat by hitting 8/15 from downtown and sprinkling in 8 assists. The Hawks finished the game on a 10-0 run in the final two minutes, where Young chipped in four points, an assist, and a steal. This capped off a 20-point fourth quarter for him – perhaps making up for the fact that he didn’t get to play down the stretch in the All-Star game (despite being a starter). Maybe next year he won’t be relegated to the bench in the fourth quarter.
- Despite being on the losing end of this one, Bam Adebayo showed out with an excellent performance. Bam had 28 PTS 19 REBS 7 ASTS and 3 BLKS along with being a game high +14. Miami will be happy to return home on Saturday as this loss capped off a 1-5 road trip.
- Joel Embiid came up big as Philadelphia barely squeaked past the Nets in overtime. Playing without Ben Simmons, Embiid stepped up and poured in 39 points and 16 boards, including four huge free throws to twice tie the game in the final minute. He also blocked a potential game-winning layup attempt by Wilson Chandler as time expired in regulation. The 76ers moved to an insane 26-2 at home.
- Malik Monk led all scorers with 25 points in Charlotte’s road victory over Chicago. Monk might be turning a corner as of late, he’s averaging 21 PPG and shooting 48% (12/25) from three over his past five games.
Quirks of the Night
- As great as Devonte Graham’s second year breakout campaign has gone, he has been prone to some laying some eggs as well. He has already had three games where he made just one field goal, but tonight he failed to make a single bucket going 0/7 from the field in 32 minutes of action.
- Per Cleaning The Glass, The Sacramento Kings finished in the 0th percentile for offensive rebounds last night (3) and among teams with 3 or fewer OREB, actually had the lowest number of total rebounds in a victory since 2017.
- Regular plus minus hero Andre Iguodala had a tough go in Miami’s loss to Atlanta. He was a game low -33 in 23 minutes and just 1/5 from downtown. He also got the worst of a nasty Trae Young ankle breaker featured in the next block below.
- Al Horford’s stock seems to be at an all-time low after another game coming off the bench resulted in just 6 points and 3 rebounds and was a game worst -26 minutes during his run.
NBA Twitter Table Talk
- Trae Young does very cool things every night. Iguodala did not appreciate this one.
- Russell Westbrook decided to hit the showers early on Thursday, earning himself an ejection while leading by 25 points in the fourth quarter.
- Cody Zeller dropped the hammer.
- Harry Giles said no thank you.